Military’s Nationwide Ceasefire Excluded Covid-19 Highest Outbreak Region of Rakhine State in Western Myanmar; A Farmer Killed and 6 Civilians Injured by Myanmar Army’ Shells and Guns During the Virus Outbreak

Farmer U Yan Noe Aung, 70, was killed by landmine near Myanmar military base in Minbya township on August 23. 

 AN. Sittway. August 25, 2020 

Myanmar army has extended one more month for ceasefire until the end of September, but it excludes Rakhine State, the highest region of Covid-19 outbreak. 

 

The military said it extends the nationwide ceasefire to effectively prevent Covoid-19 pandemics. 

 

Arakan Army Spokesperson Khine Thu Kha told the local news the extension of ceasefire that does not cover ongoing conflicts in Rakhine State and Paletwa township in Chin State is meaningless and not intending for real peace. He said military is sending more troops and supplies to the northern regions of Rakhine State when all cities and villagers are locked down by the state government in the name of preventive measures against Covid-19 outbreak. 

 

Ministry of Health and Sports has announced 81 residents are infected in Rakhine State, mostly in the capital city Sittway, since August 16.

 

The city is locked down and imposed night curfew. All transportations from mainland Myanmar are shutdown except a state ran airline that flies a few times in a week from Sittway to Yangon. 

 

None of the infected patient is reported death and critical illness by the virus attack in Sittway since last week, but a 70 years farmer U Yan Noe Aung from Oh Pon Taung village stepped on landmine and died on the spot near the military base in Minbya township on August 23 when he and his friends were looking for released buffalos in the mountain after the end of paddy growing season in July 


Villagers reported the military handed over the dead body to the villagers after he died. They said his left leg was completely destroyed. 

 

The army’s shells also injured 5 villagers in Kyauk Yan Thar Si village in Rathedoung township on August 21.

 

Two villagers were hit by bullets fired from Myanmar army in Ka Zu Kaing village on August 19 when they were moving out by boat from the village to seek for IDP shelter in Maybon township. 

 

After the report of Covid-19 outbreak in Rakhine State, local people have reported 1 farmer is dead and 6 civilians injured by the shells and gunfire from Myanmar army in one week period on August 19-25. 

A villager from Kyauk Yan Thar Si said, “We are afraid we will die more with the shells fired from Myanmar army than the Covid-19. The navy fired artilleries to the left and right sides of the river (May Yu River) yesterday. There was no military clash last night, but the army based in Ma Nyin Taung village were firing shells entire night.”  

AA spokesperson said Myanmar army is exploiting the situation of Covid-19 outbreak and escalating military operations in Rakhine and Chin States.

 

A local human rights documentation institute—Arakan Information Center (AIC) reports until July 2020, Myanmar army has killed 285 civilians, injured 570, and arrested 606 villagers since the military has been launching offensive operations in Rakhine State and Paletwa township in Chin State in January 2019. 

 

AIC reports it has recorded 45 villagers have been disappeared, and 233,451 civilians have been displaced until July 2020. 

 

Our news recorded the Infected persons of Covid-19 as:

August 16---1 person in Sittway 

August 19---3 persons in Sittway

August 20---5 persons in Sittway 

August 21---20 persons in Sittway; 1 person from Mrauk U

August 22---16 persons in Sittway , 2 from Thandway 

August 22 at 8 pm--- 6 persons; 4 from Sittway and 2 from Mrauk U 

August 23 at 8 pm--- 6 persons in Sittway 

August 24 at 8 am--- 13 persons in Sittway 

August 24 at 8 am--- 5 person in Sittway and 4 persons in Buthedaung 

Total Infections=81 persons 

0 comments:

Post a Comment